The Reading Astronomical Society was founded in 1972 to promote amateur astronomy in the Reading area. The Society holds two meetings a month with invited speakers and maintains a membership of over 100 members, which makes Reading AS one of the larger societies in the UK.
Special Summer Spectroscopy Workshop.
- History of astronomical spectroscopy
- Spectroscopy usage and theory
- Getting started with a filter grating (e.g. SA100) & demo
- Using the Alpy 600 & demo
- Reduction of spectra using BASS (others may present other apps subjected to prior agreement)
- Spin cast mirrors for spectroscopy – Wayne Young has several years experience of this black art
- Build your own Spectrometer
- Spectrometer clinic – bring yours in to show or get help
I met lot’s of lovely people, and can’t believe how professional the whole evening was…. – Ryan, Jun 2014
….just to say that Anne and I had a very enjoyable evening at Reading AS. Everyone was so friendly and made for a very sociable evening. – Guy, May 2015
How I wish I lived closer because, without doubt, I would become a member of your Society! – Jane Green, Oct 2015
…it was such a thrill speaking to such an enthused and interested audience; a science communicator’s dream! – Ceri Brenner, Jan 2016
Welcome to the website of Reading Astronomical Society. Our site offers information about the Society and astronomy. You will find:
- All about the Society, who we are, what we do, where we are, how to join etc.
- A gallery of members’ images
- Scripts, software and other useful resources
Join our discussion group for members and friends; any astronomy hobbyist; in the Reading area.
We maintain a news list for anyone in the area to keep in touch with all our astronomy events. To subscribe, send an email to [email protected].
We support the Commission for Dark Skies. Formally Campaign for Dark Skies.
We meet regularly at St Peter’s Church Hall in Earley.
We had the usual annual success with our event at the Institute of Education in London Road. See Marc’s image….
We have some images and a short report from 2015. And a quote from one of our helpers last year. “Lots of very eager and inquisitive children and grown-ups came. It was a good job we had plenty of telescopes! I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I hope everyone else did too. Cheers Gerry! Wayne”
Santa’s Grotto 2015
East Reading Festival 2014
Here is a gallery of images from Marc Charron.